Discover ways to make a thick, buttery selfmade graham cracker crust with this straightforward recipe and my perfected shaping strategies. You want simply 3 components, and it tastes so good, I assure you’ll by no means return to store-bought graham cracker crust. And if graham crackers aren’t accessible the place you reside, we’ve received a tested-and-approved biscuit crumb crust different for you!
Right now I’m educating you my practiced-and-perfected methodology for making a deliciously buttery, candy graham cracker crust that’s splendidly crisp and crumbly, however nonetheless holds form. You should utilize it for pies, bar desserts, cheesecakes, and extra—like cheesecake pie, banoffee pie, and lemon blueberry cheesecake bars.
Grasp a graham cracker crust, and the remainder is as straightforward as s’mores brownie pie. 🙂
Why Make a Graham Cracker Crust Relatively Than Purchase a Pre-Made Crust?
Graham cracker crusts are easy and fast to make. Shopping for a pre-made crust from the shop doesn’t prevent a lot time, and people pre-made crusts all the time appear to lack taste and style somewhat stale.
The style and texture of a selfmade graham cracker crust is simply on a very totally different stage. Perhaps even a special planet. Buttery, candy, crispy, crumbly… and comprised of solely 3 components. Simply THREE! And right here they’re:
Seize These 3 Elements
- Graham Crackers: (Effectively, clearly.) You want about 12 full sheet graham crackers, to yield about 1 and 1/2 cups (180g) crumbs. It’s also possible to buy graham cracker crumbs in most grocery shops within the baking aisle. Graham crackers are an American pantry staple and are available basic honey taste, however you may also discover chocolate, cinnamon, and low-fat variations. Any taste could be fantastic on this graham cracker crust recipe. I want to make use of the Nabisco Honey Maid model authentic graham crackers—extra data on that under.
- Butter: Melted butter binds the tiny crumbs collectively, and makes this crust style unbelievably buttery and scrumptious. You want 6 Tablespoons (85g) of butter for a pie crust, however solely 5 Tablespoons (71g) for a cheesecake crust. (Full cheesecakes may be actually heavy and moist, so that’s the reason I barely scale back the butter.)
- Granulated sugar: Because the crust bakes, the sugar crystals help the butter in binding the crumbs collectively. Graham crackers are already candy, so we don’t want so as to add a lot sugar, simply 1/4 cup.
Nabisco Honey Maid Model vs. Retailer Model Graham Crackers
After testing a number of manufacturers, my very scientific conclusion (LOL) is that the most effective graham crackers to make use of for this crumb crust are the Nabisco Honey Maid model. The shop-brand graham crackers we tried have been lighter in coloration and the feel wasn’t fairly as crispy.
When urgent the crust comprised of store-brand crackers into the pie dish, it felt extra moist, and a bit mushier. Which is smart, as a result of the Honey Maid ones really feel tougher/crispier as in the event that they’ve been baked longer, so the store-brand graham cracker crumbs really feel a bit mushier while you add the melted butter.
All that mentioned, you may actually nonetheless make this crust with any model of graham crackers you have got! (And I’m not getting paid by Nabisco to inform you to purchase their merchandise, simply genuinely a fan!)
Graham Cracker Math
Graham crackers may also fluctuate barely in dimension and weight, and sometimes producers change the dimensions or quantity you get in a bundle—which implies my staff and I’ve to undergo all our recipes that use graham crackers and replace them! (In case you’re questioning why your printed recipe might now not match the recipe on the web site.) Some math data you could discover useful:
- 12 graham crackers ought to yield about 1.5 cups of crumbs once they’re finely floor, or about 180g. (12x15g)
- 1 full sheet graham cracker = 14–16g, or about ½ an oz.
- 12 full sheets = 168–192g
- 1 and 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs = roughly 180g
Easy methods to Make Your Do-it-yourself Graham Cracker Crust (It’s Straightforward)
Begin by grinding up your graham crackers. You should utilize a meals processor or blender for this, however for those who don’t have one, simply put them in a zip-top bag and crush them with a rolling pin. You need actually fantastic crumbs, so be at liberty to take out all of your frustrations on these crackers!
Combine the crushed graham crackers with the granulated sugar, after which stir within the melted butter. The combination might be thick, sandy, and coarse. Attempt to smash/break up any massive chunks.
Stop Your Graham Cracker Crust From Falling Aside
The ratio of components is essential, however what issues most is the way you press the combination into your pan. The method you utilize could make or (actually) break an amazing graham cracker crust:
- Don’t be nervous that it’s crumbly: The combination inevitably feels too crumbly as you begin urgent it into the pan, however while you begin making use of strain, it should stick collectively.
- Use your palms first: Press the underside and across the sides with medium-firm strain till the crumbs aren’t shifting round anymore—you don’t need any free crumbs. You should utilize a small flat-bottomed measuring cup to assist easy out the floor, simply don’t pack it down too arduous.
- Don’t pack too tightly: The crust must be compact, so it doesn’t crumble aside, however not so tight that it bakes into a tough, dense crust. You actually simply need to pack it till the form has set and it’s now not crumbly.
- Hold it rounded if making a pie: This sounds a bit odd, however you don’t need a proper angle on the backside edges the place the perimeters and the underside meet. As an alternative, you need it somewhat bit rounded so it stays linked while you slice into it—so the facet crust doesn’t instantly separate from the underside crust. Slide a spoon across the within the crust the place the perimeters and backside meet, to get that rounded form.
I like to make use of my thumb on one hand and 4 fingers on my different hand to go across the prime and sides. You may see me do that within the video tutorial under, too.
And, as defined within the 4th success tip above, operating a spoon across the inside sides helps the crust maintain a rounded form, so the slices of your pie keep intact:
FAQ: What Measurement Pan Does This Match?
It would be best to use an ungreased 8-inch, 9-inch, or 10-inch pie dish, cake pan, springform pan, or sq. pan for this recipe. It’s not sufficient for a 9×13-inch pan. In the event you’re making a 9×13-inch dessert, I like to recommend 1.5x the recipe.
FAQ: Do You Should Bake a Graham Cracker Crust?
Sometimes, sure. After shaping into your pan, this crust ought to be baked, and the period of time actually relies on the recipe you’re utilizing, and whether or not it’s a baked or a no-bake filling. Test the pie or cheesecake recipe you’re utilizing for crust baking and cooling directions.
I often pre-bake this graham cracker crust for no less than 10 minutes at 350°F (177°C) earlier than including a filling. In the event you’re making a no-bake pie/dessert: cool the crust earlier than filling it, until the no-bake pie recipe you’re utilizing states in any other case.
Or attempt my no bake cheesecake, which really makes use of a brown sugar graham cracker crust that isn’t baked in any respect.
Digestive Biscuit Crumb Crust Different to Graham Cracker Crust
For non-US readers, my staff and I examined out making this crust with digestive biscuits (we used McVitie’s model), and listed here are our findings:
Although totally different in dimension and form, 1 normal digestive biscuit weighs nearly the identical as 1 full sheet graham cracker, about 15g. Digestives are comparable in taste to graham crackers, however the texture is barely totally different. Digestives aren’t fairly as crispy-crunchy as graham crackers, and disintegrate sooner when moist, as those that prefer to dip them into their tea will know. We discovered that we wanted some further crumbs within the crust to assist take in the melted butter.
We’re additionally including a bit extra sugar, as a result of digestive biscuits include about half the quantity of sugar as graham crackers. So the ultimate recipe for a digestive biscuit crumb crust that works as an amazing different to this graham cracker crust is:
- 200g digestive crumbs (about 13–14 normal digestive biscuits)
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, melted
Prebake for a bit longer than the graham crust, 12–quarter-hour at 350°F (177°C).
Graham cracker crust is the bottom of so many unbelievable desserts, so it’s essential to have a extremely stable recipe for this baking staple underneath your belt (or apron ties). And it’s really easy to grasp. To not point out, unbelievably good. Repeat: It’s buttery! Thick! Crunchy! Graham crackery! Simply the most effective!
Different Crumb Crust Alternate options
You might additionally make this crumb crust with speculoos biscuits (like Biscoff), vanilla wafers, or Ritz crackers as an alternative of graham crackers. For a straightforward Oreo crust, see this recipe for Cookies & Cream Pie.
Q: Have you ever tried another options for a graham cracker crumb crust?
Discover ways to make a thick, buttery selfmade graham cracker crust with solely 3 components.
- In the event you’re beginning out with full graham crackers, use a meals processor or blender to grind them into fantastic crumbs. It’s also possible to place them in a zip-top bag and crush them into fantastic crumbs with somewhat arm muscle and a rolling pin.
- Stir the graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar collectively in a medium bowl, after which stir within the melted butter. The combination might be thick, coarse, and sandy. Attempt to smash/break up any massive chunks.
- Pour the combination into an ungreased 8-inch, 9-inch, or 10-inch pie dish, cake pan, springform pan, or sq. pan. With medium strain utilizing your hand, pat the crumbs down into the underside and up the perimeters to make a compact crust. Don’t pack down with heavy pressure as a result of that makes the crust too arduous. Merely pat down till the combination is now not crumby/crumbly. Tip: You should utilize a small flat-bottomed measuring cup to assist press down the underside crust and easy out the floor, however don’t pack down too arduous. If making a pie, run a spoon across the backside “nook” the place the sting and backside meet to assist make a rounded crust—this helps stop the crust from falling aside while you minimize slices.
- For a baked dessert, pre-bake this crust per your filling recipe’s instructions. I often pre-bake for 10 minutes at 350°F (177°C). For a no-bake dessert, cool the crust utterly earlier than utilizing, until your filling’s recipe instructs in any other case.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: It’s freezer pleasant! Freeze the ready crust in your pan for as much as 3 months. Thaw earlier than utilizing in your recipe. For shorter storage, maintain the ready crust within the fridge for as much as 3 days earlier than utilizing in your recipe.
- Graham Crackers: Use cinnamon, honey, or chocolate taste graham crackers relying in your dessert recipe. I often use honey taste as a result of it’s the usual graham cracker taste. If I’m baking a chocolate deal with, I like to make use of the chocolate graham crackers. One of the best graham crackers to make use of for this crumb crust are the Nabisco Honey Maid model (not sponsored, simply our conclusions!).
- Different Cookies/Crackers: You may substitute the graham cracker crumbs for speculoos biscuit (like Biscoff), vanilla wafer, or Ritz cracker crumbs. For a straightforward Oreo crust, see this recipe for Cookies & Cream Pie.
- Don’t have graham crackers the place you reside? Use 200g floor digestive biscuit crumbs as an alternative (about 13–14 biscuits) + 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar + 6 T. (85g) melted butter. You might want so as to add a couple of further minutes to the pre-baking time, as digestive biscuits are usually not fairly as crispy-crunchy as graham crackers.
Key phrases: graham cracker crust
Baking Made Straightforward
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.