Created from simply 5 elements, this salted caramel frosting is fudge-like, wealthy, and buttery. It’s every thing you’re keen on concerning the taste of home made salted caramel—in frosting kind! Take pleasure in it piped onto apple cupcakes, unfold over banana cake, or sandwiched between two butter pecan cookies. Observe my step-by-step directions, success suggestions, and video tutorial for greatest outcomes.
Creamy and fudge-like, with an irresistible salty-sweet-buttery taste, that is the frosting that each one desserts are begging for. (I’m fairly positive all desserts would style epic underneath a blanket of these items.)
Not the Quickest Frosting, However Actually the Tastiest
If you wish to do this frosting, be warned that it’s not an easy, fast course of. Now that I’m scaring you away, let me again up and clarify.
There are two essential steps on this recipe: (1) Cook dinner a brown sugar caramel on the range, after which let it cool for 20 minutes. (2) Beat in sifted confectioners’ sugar and somewhat heavy cream or milk to skinny out.
You should utilize the frosting instantly, however it will likely be fairly runny—pourable consistency, actually. Or when you wait at the least 20–half-hour, the frosting can be thick sufficient to pipe.
So superb on banana cake.
5 Elements for Salted Caramel Frosting
- Butter: That is the bottom of the frosting, and utilizing actual butter on this recipe (not margarine or plant-based) is essential for each taste and texture.
- Brown Sugar: You should utilize mild or darkish brown sugar, or a mixture of each. (I normally do half and half.) Make sure that your brown sugar is contemporary—it ought to really feel comfortable and moist, not laborious or clumpy. If utilizing all mild brown sugar, your frosting can be lighter in colour than these photographs.
- Heavy Cream/Milk, Divided: Heavy cream works greatest on this recipe, however you should use complete milk or half-and-half if that’s what you’ve as an alternative. Nothing lighter or the caramel and/or frosting will separate. I have no idea any nondairy options that work efficiently. In case you’re making a visit to the shop, I strongly encourage you to make use of heavy cream.
- Salt: Clearly important to make this salted caramel frosting. I like to recommend common desk salt.
- Confectioners’ Sugar: Make sure that to sift the confectioners’ sugar or else your frosting can have lumps. I exploit a nice mesh sieve and sift it straight into the marginally cooled salted caramel.
Recipe Testing for Constant Success
At present’s recipe has been printed on my website for a few years now, however I’ve been wanting to remodel the directions, as some readers had been reporting issue. It’s extremely essential to me that the recipes I share are straightforward to observe AND work efficiently. And this specific frosting recipe was proving to be a bit… temperamental.
My assistant and I started retesting the unique recipe. Frustratingly, the batches saved yielding completely different outcomes. Then we started altering small variables. One batch was too laborious, one other too grainy. Why?
- First, we examined utilizing chilly butter vs. room temperature butter.
- After which we examined utilizing complete milk as an alternative of cream.
- Then we modified the pan.
- After which it was darkish brown or mild brown sugar.
Nevertheless it wasn’t the temperature of the butter. And it doesn’t actually matter when you use milk or cream (I do favor cream, however the frosting nonetheless works with complete milk). And the pan didn’t make a noticeable distinction, similar with utilizing mild vs. brown sugar. The issue was merely that we had been overcooking it!
Keep away from This!
The next image exhibits the over-cooked, grainy caramel combination:
A Sweet Thermometer Guarantees the Greatest Outcomes
The recipe used to name for boiling the caramel sauce for 3 minutes, which is definitely too lengthy for my range. (And the above photograph exhibits that.) The caramel ought to boil solely till it reaches a temperature of 230°F (110°C), after which needs to be faraway from the warmth. On my range, it takes slightly below 2 minutes, which is a fairly large distinction.
A sweet thermometer guarantees extra constant outcomes. Your frosting will not be grainy and your caramel will not be over- or under-cooked.
Left photograph beneath: The caramel is skinny and clean proper off the range. What a distinction from the photograph above! Proper photograph beneath: Right here is the caramel after cooling for 20 minutes.
Now sift in your confectioners’ sugar and beat in additional heavy cream/milk:
At this level, you should use the skinny frosting, or wait 20–half-hour for it to thicken right into a pipeable consistency. The longer it sits, the thicker it will get:
And make sure NOT to over-mix the frosting after it’s carried out. As a result of it’ll start to separate:
That was a whole lot of data for you! Right here is every thing damaged down:
6 Success Ideas for the Greatest Salted Caramel Frosting
- Make sure that your stovetop is ready to medium warmth, or barely decrease in case your range runs sizzling.
- Whisk the butter and brown sugar collectively FIRST—and ensure the 2 are actually mixed. You can begin combining the 2 with a rubber spatula, however swap to a whisk (I at all times use a silicone whisk so I don’t scratch my pans) when the butter is almost all melted, to verify the butter and sugar are actually mixed. In any other case, you may see an oily layer across the edges the place they’re nonetheless a bit separated. As soon as they’re mixed, add the cream and salt.
- Use a sweet thermometer for greatest outcomes. The time it takes to achieve 230°F (110°C) might take roughly than 2 minutes, relying in your specific range and saucepan.
- Let the ready frosting sit for 20–half-hour to thicken if you wish to pipe it. It’s going to crust a bit because it sits, which is ok—merely give it a stir while you’re prepared to make use of it.
- Don’t over-mix the frosting as a result of it’ll start to separate. After beating within the sifted confectioners’ sugar and cream, use it instantly or go away it alone to thicken.
- If frosting sits for a pair hours, it turns into too laborious to unfold or pipe. If that occurs, scoop it right into a heatproof bowl and set it over a pan of simmering water on the range. Warmth and stir till it thins out. (Or use a double boiler.)
Greatest Piping Tip to Use
The perfect piping tip for this frosting is a spherical tip equivalent to Wilton 2A or Wilton #12. In case you pipe this salted caramel frosting with star suggestions, it is not going to maintain its form as properly, as a result of this frosting is creamy and thinner than buttercream. So I recommend a easy spherical tip.
End your dessert with a drizzle of salted caramel, the sauce model of at present’s recipe. As a result of every thing is best with further salted caramel.
I promise you’ll by no means run out of excuses to make this salted caramel frosting! Strive it on these recipes:
- Make the caramel: Mix the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium warmth. With a rubber spatula or picket spoon, stir continually because the butter melts. As soon as butter has melted, swap to a whisk to verify the 2 are actually mixed. (In any other case, you may see an oily layer across the edges the place they’re nonetheless a bit separated; you do not need that.)
- As soon as melted butter and brown sugar are mixed, add 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream and the salt. Whisk to mix, then cease whisking and fix a sweet thermometer to your pan, ensuring the bulb will not be touching the underside of the pan (as you’ll get an inaccurate studying).
- Let the caramel boil, giving it a fast whisk each 30 seconds or so, till the temperature reaches 230°F (110°C). On my range, it takes slightly below 2 minutes.
- Take away the saucepan from warmth, give it one other fast whisk, and let cool for a minute. Fastidiously switch the salted caramel to a heat-proof mixing bowl set on a cooling rack and funky for simply 20 minutes earlier than persevering with. The caramel sauce thickens throughout this time.
- End the frosting: Sift in confectioners’ sugar and add remaining 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat on medium-low velocity till the elements are included. Flip mixer as much as excessive velocity and beat for 1 minute. If frosting may be very thick, beat in 1 extra Tablespoon of heavy cream. Keep away from over-mixing or the frosting will start to “break” and separate.
- Use it instantly as a skinny glaze or icing, or let it sit and thicken. It’s going to crust a bit because it sits, which is ok—merely give it a stir while you’re prepared to make use of it. If you wish to pipe this frosting, let it sit for at the least 20–half-hour earlier than filling your piping bag, to provide it an opportunity to thicken as much as a pipeable consistency.
- Frost cake or cupcakes and garnish with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce, if desired.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Sweet Thermometer | Handheld or Stand Mixer | Silicone Whisk | Glass Mixing Bowls | Piping Bag | Wilton 2A or Wilton #12 piping tip
- Amount: This recipe is sufficient to frost 12–16 cupcakes or one 9×13-quarter sheet cake. 1.5x the recipe for extra cupcakes or a double layer cake. (Doubling the recipe can be far an excessive amount of.)
- Heavy Cream: Heavy cream or heavy whipping cream works greatest on this recipe, however you should use complete milk or half-and-half if that’s what you’ve as an alternative. Nothing lighter or the caramel and/or frosting will separate. I have no idea any nondairy options that work efficiently. I strongly encourage you to make use of heavy cream.
- Piping Tip: The perfect piping tip for this frosting is a spherical tip equivalent to Wilton 2A or Wilton #12. In case you pipe this salted caramel frosting with star suggestions, it is not going to maintain its form as properly, as a result of the frosting is creamy and thinner than buttercream. So I like to recommend a easy spherical tip.
Key phrases: salted caramel frosting
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail collection is a superb place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a couple of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.