Catalan delicacies, neo-Gothic structure, sandy seashores, rugged mountains, and a colourful historical past. Did we point out Catalan delicacies? Barcelona, Spain has each purpose to be excessive on the checklist for journey bucket lists.
The town is a mix of influences, there’s the general Spanish tradition however tucked alongside proud Catalan tradition. There’s a lengthy historical past of independence claims, civil battle and unrest. Combine this in with an enormous migrant and expat neighborhood and also you discover a mix of cultures, cuisines, languages and types.
Perhaps you wish to keep within the coronary heart of the previous city and Gothic structure, or do you need to expertise the mix of metropolis and seashore in Barceloneta? It could possibly be that you’re extra of an uptown kinda particular person and need to keep within the coronary heart of Eixample, surrounded by towering buildings, countless buying alternatives and Gaudi round what looks like virtually each nook.
Both method, we’ve got the perfect of the barrios (neighborhoods) laid out so that you can determine for your self!
This information was written by Sensible Wanderlust’s Head of E mail and Affiliate Advertising and marketing Natalie Collins, Barcelona resident, avid metropolis explorer and fellow Cava lover. Take it away, Natalie!
Psst: Searching for extra issues to do in Barcelona throughout your journey? We’ve acquired a publish about our favourite meals & wine tour in Barcelona, which we extremely suggest. We even have extra posts on journey in Europe.
Psst: Obtain the strolling tour to search out all of the hidden spots from a Barcelona resident!
Barcelona Journey Suggestions
Earlier than we dive into the barrio round-up, listed below are just a few ideas that can assist you put together to your journey to Barcelona.
- Be conscious of the season: Barcelona splendidly experiences all 4 seasons, so don’t assume it’s heat year-round. Winter will get chilly and damp! The very best months for vacationers are the Spring (late March to early June) and Autumn (late September to early November) months. Temperatures are snug, and the town parks and tree-lined avenues look lovely. Additionally means fewer thick winter layers to pack!
- Put together just a few Spanish phrases: Barcelona is in Catalonia, a Spanish area with a historical past of independence claims from the Spanish state. True Barcelona locals are sometimes fiercely Catalan, with Catalan as their first language, Spanish second and English coming someplace after that if wanted. So you’ll do higher with both a primary grasp of Spanish and even some Catalan – don’t simply assume you will get away with English, though most vacationer locations do converse English!
- Keep secure: Pickpockets are an enormous downside in Barcelona, and the locations I like to recommend avoiding are the worst locations you might be more likely to encounter thieves. Don’t depart your telephone on a desk, maintain your valuables in a cash belt, don’t journey sporting an expensive-looking watch and maintain your bag both tied to your chair or in your knee. All the time be vigilant!
- Eat all of the food and drinks all of the cava: Catalan and Spanish delicacies is scrumptious, with numerous recent hearty substances, good olive oils and little tapas plates. There’s additionally the Basque affect with some nice pintxo eating places, which is my favourite option to eat! Cava can be made within the area so respectable cava prices little or no. Take a meals and wine tour if you happen to can to expertise it multi functional afternoon.
- Don’t name it Barca: Locals and long-term residents get actually sniffy about Barca/Barna. The proper abbreviation is Barna; Barca is the soccer crew. I nonetheless really feel bizarre calling it Barna so simply persist with Barcelona.
- Convey snug strolling sneakers: The town is extremely walkable however elements of it are hilly and you’ll cowl much more floor than you understand whereas gawking on the structure. So pack respectable sneakers you understand will maintain your ft comfortable and benefit from the stroll! To assist, we’ve acquired a Barcelona self-guided strolling tour – and we’ve additionally acquired recommendations for the perfect strolling sneakers for journey. Listed below are our favourite journey sneakers for males and for ladies.
- Totally different areas even have completely different hyperlinks to different elements of the town: The metro system is superb and pretty simple to navigate however if you happen to want to keep away from utilizing it or buses then you should base your self strolling distance to the stuff you need to see or at the very least on the identical metro line to keep away from a number of stops and modifications. An space could also be quarter-hour away in a taxi however takes 45 minutes by metro or bus, so take note the place you need to be in relation to the place you need to keep.
- Keep away from short-term condominium leases: The housing market in Barcelona has been monopolized by vacationer leases, driving costs up a lot larger than is reasonably priced for residents and creating a whole lot of scams and disparity. Inns have been badly affected by the pandemic in order that they deserve the assist quite than grasping property house owners who would quite depart an condominium empty as a substitute of renting it for an affordable worth to an area. There are even new legal guidelines limiting vacationer licenses and you might be not allowed to lease a room short-term, so don’t contribute to the housing disaster, be a accountable vacationer, and keep in a resort!
- In case your check-in and check-out instances don’t sync up together with your must roam the streets and also you want a spot to retailer your baggage, try LuggageHero: This service helps you discover a secure place to maintain your baggage when you’re working round so that you don’t stand out like a blatant vacationer! Use the code PRACTICALW for two hours of free baggage storage on us.
The place to Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona is damaged up into separate neighborhoods referred to as barrios, every with its personal distinct character, vibe and attraction. To the uninitiated, chances are you’ll wrestle to know the place to go and what to do, however don’t fear, I acquired you lined!
As with many cities, there’s additionally an enormous financial variation. Strolling alongside Passeig de Gràcia you’ll see consumers swinging baggage from Gucci, Versace and Saint Laurant, after which step down La Rambla simply 10 minutes away and discover quirky low cost hippy retailers promoting handmade crafts, knock-off clothes and road meals. Barcelona is that type of place!
This provides to the attraction of the town, you might be all the time only a quick stroll or turning a nook away from discovering one thing utterly completely different and discovering a hidden gem. Which does make searching down meals and souvenirs actually enjoyable – every little thing your coronary heart needs could be present in Barcelona!
Previous Metropolis: El Born & Gothic
The previous a part of Barcelona is the very first thing that involves thoughts for many vacationers after they consider Barcelona, and it’s true it’s the most charming a part of the town. Filled with previous winding streets, lovely historic buildings, church buildings, lovable eating places and hidden options round each nook.
That is the place you will see that Barcelona Cathedral, the Picasso Museum, Arc de Triomf, La Rambla, and a complete host of different well-known landmarks. It truly is the perfect place to remain in Barcelona for a primary go to.
Nonetheless, you do want to choose rigorously as some streets are slightly shadier than others, some are noisy, and people cute winding streets aren’t as enjoyable to remain in if you happen to don’t see daylight out of your resort room window.
This barrio has nice transport hyperlinks to the remainder of the town and is a brief stroll to the seashore, with elements of it opening out onto the marina at Port Vell so that you get views of the blue Mediterranean Sea. The realm can be extra open to vacationers so that you usually tend to discover a place to seize a espresso and a pastry if you’re an early morning sort of particular person.
That is additionally the perfect place to base your self if you’re planning on taking our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona. A lot of the tour covers this space and can be the place you end so you’re a quick stroll again to your resort afterward.
The place to Keep in El Born & Gothic
There are a combination of dear lodges on this space in addition to some critically price range hostels. Under are a few of our favorites:
- Hostal Fernando is a kind of good types of hostels with clear, vivid rooms. It additionally overlooks Església de Sant Jaume, which is a reasonably, previous church. Historical past in your windowsill!
- For one thing slightly fancier Barcelona Resort Colonial is correct within the coronary heart of Gothic in a ravishing colonial constructing, a brief stroll down the road takes you to Port Vell Marina and a visit in another path takes you thru medieval streets.
- If you wish to keep as shut as attainable to the eccentric La Rambla then the Might Ramblas Resort is the one for you. It’s situated just a few doorways down a facet road from La Rambla and can be the identical road you head right down to get to the Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi.
Barceloneta / Seaside
For these wanting extra for the seashore vibes then Barceloneta is for you. This barrio is a small space made up of completely aligned streets so it’s virtually unimaginable to get misplaced. To 1 facet is Port Vell, to the south is the seashore, head north to El Born and east to Villa Olympica, the Olympic village from when Barcelona hosted the 1992 summer time Olympics.
Barceloneta correct is a superb place to really feel you might be staying proper on the seashore with out lacking out on that Barcelona previous metropolis attraction. The buildings aren’t essentially as fairly as different elements of the town however the seashore environment is nearly year-round.
You’ll discover chiringuitos (seashore bars) open from Spring to mid-Autumn and there are all the time individuals skateboarding and curler skating down the cycle paths alongside the entrance, so be careful as you stroll!
The place to Keep in Barceloneta / Seaside
There are just a few bigger lodges on this space as you’d count on with it being beachside however the costs are wildly costly. Try the well-known landmark resort The W, lovely and epic views however out of price range for many vacationers! You’ll be able to nonetheless catch the views at their rooftop cocktail lounge and nightclub, if you happen to can snag a desk!
- Whereas technically not in Barceloneta it’s simply throughout the street from the place the barrio begins, the Resort Oasis has a tremendous rooftop pool and terrace and appears out in direction of the marina. From right here you’ll be able to entry El Born, Gothic and Barceloneta in only a quick stroll.
- Resort 54 Barceloneta is correct on the entrance overlooking the marina and steps away from the seashore, this might be my choose if going for the seashore resort choice. The rooftop bar can be like slightly backyard paradise, good for resting after an extended day of exploring.
- For a extra price range room, the Sea Hostel is a superb choose for dorm room-style lodging, additionally it is subsequent door to a restaurant, Buenas Migas, that does fairly wonderful pastries. Get up early, seize a espresso and pastry for a dawn stroll alongside the seashore.
Welcome to Eixample, the realm that you simply’ll see most in aerial pictures of Barcelona, these good purple sq. blocks and streets aligned to OCD ranges. This a part of the town is the place the well-known avenues of Diagonal and Passeig de Gracia run by means of, it’s the place the designer retailers are and can be the bigger of the districts in Barcelona.
The roads are additionally very driveable, other than the irritating purple gentle cease/begin system which does make site visitors heavier right here. However most lodges have respectable sound insulation so you’ll be able to keep away from site visitors noise so long as you retain your home windows closed.
This space is charming for its typical Barcelona type with lengthy avenues, Guadi’s spectacular buildings, and delightful balconies. You’ll discover Casa Batlo and Casa Mila, Plaza Catalunya to the south, Casa de les Punxes and lots of different architectural beauties. Strolling round this space you’ll simply maintain stumbling into one other lovely constructing after one other, and if you happen to get onto a rooftop someplace you’ll see much more.
The buying can be unimaginable right here with every little thing from high-end designer shops, to excessive road buying, to unbiased boutiques. If you wish to store with out having to stroll far to drop your baggage again on the resort, that is the place to do it.
This space can be rather well related with public transport, the buses run commonly and there are a whole lot of metro stations in addition to prepare stations at each Passeig de Gràcia and at Plaza Catalunya.
READ THIS POST
The Final Packing Listing: 43 Should-Have Journey Gadgets (by a Full-Time Journey Blogger
The place to Keep in Eixample
As you’d count on there is no such thing as a scarcity of lodges in Eixample, from simpler budgets to luxurious high-end lodges. Listed below are some fo the perfect ones:
- Once I first arrived in Barcelona I booked into Hostalin Barcelona Gran By way of and it’s the place I like to recommend pals to remain for an ideal worth resort. The employees was a dream throughout my keep, the rooms are vivid and comfy and it’s canine pleasant!
- For bougie fanciness proper on Passeig de Gràcia with the views to match the Resort Royal Passeig de Gràcia is a superb selection, and although the value is slightly larger it’s not eye-watering. You possibly can go all out for a collection with a personal terrace or simply benefit from the rooftop terrace which is equally beautiful.
- If you wish to exit your resort to the scent of recent bread and pastries then you should e-book Praktik Bakery, with rooms as recent because the bread and a brief stroll to Diagonal. Simply ensure to not hang around and go discover (hehehe)!
The place else to remain in Barcelona apart from near the long-lasting Basílica de la Sagrada Família! If that is your major purpose for visiting Barcelona, and no person will choose you whether it is then that is the place to remain. You’ll be able to meander across the cafes within the space, sit in parks surrounding the basílica and customarily gaze on the unimaginable work of Antoni Gaudí.
Admittedly the restaurant decisions aren’t the greatest, and apart from the Sagrada itself, the structure isn’t the prettiest in Barcelona, however it’s tremendous near Eixample and straightforward to get to different elements of the town.
The place to Keep in Sagrada Família
After all, if you’re staying on this space you then completely want a resort with views of the basílica, which aren’t the most cost effective rooms within the metropolis however there are some well-priced lodges price checking into.
- Sensation Sagrada Família has serviced residences with a ravishing shared roof terrace overlooking the long-lasting church. Right here you will get the bonus of a personal condominium whereas nonetheless having the chance to take pleasure in a shared area with fellow vacationers.
- For a resort choice, the Sercotel Rosellón has vivid rooms, an ideal breakfast and a roof terrace with solar loungers pointing at Sagrada, an iconic option to spend a day if you happen to ask me!
Searching for a hidden boho artist vibe? Then Gràcia is your spot. Till the nineteenth century, this was an unbiased city and residents are sometimes long-term locals and happy with their neighborhood.
Now the realm is fashionable and filled with unbiased retailers, boutiques, and cafes. Plaça de Sol is a central level the place individuals hang around to socialize, drink and indulge within the bakeries and gelato retailers close by.
This space is comparatively near Passeig de Gràcia however seems like a special world to the designer shops and busy avenue. The streets are principally pedestrianized and there’s a extra eclectic combine of individuals strolling the streets.
The realm can be identified for its festivals, historically every neighborhood has its personal mini-festivals however the one in Gràcia is extensively often known as the perfect. Streets are lined with decorations and stalls, with some streets working in competitors for the perfect decor. Though remember if you happen to go to in the summertime throughout these festivals you shouldn’t count on any peace and quiet, the events can go on all night time!
The place to Keep in Gràcia
This isn’t a primary selection amongst vacationers so you’ll really feel such as you’ve hit slightly hidden gem, and lodges are typically slightly cheaper too.
- Resort Ronda Lesseps is a cute resort with a ravishing inside courtyard backyard hooked up to the resort bar. It is usually only a 15-minute stroll to a different of Gaudí’s iconic designs, Parc Güell. Benefit from the peace hidden away from the bustle of the town on this little oasis.
- A extra upmarket choice with a rooftop pool is the Catalonia Park Güell resort, costs aren’t vastly completely different however it’s barely extra outdoors the central a part of Gràcia. Rooftop swimming pools in lodges are an actual deal with however they do get busy so bear in mind to order a solar lounger to your afternoon poolside.
Canine-Pleasant Inns in Barcelona
If you’re like the remainder of Staff Sensible Wanderlust and are a proud canine proprietor you may be happy to listen to that Barcelona is a superb place to journey together with your furry greatest buddy.
Most eating places are accommodating, a whole lot of retailers have water bowls outdoors for passing canine and it isn’t unusual to see canine becoming a member of buying journeys. My canine loves coming buying, it normally means getting numerous love from retailer attendants, treats and new locations to smell.
Actually most locations you’ll be able to deliver your canine with you, much more so if it’s a smaller canine. Nonetheless, simply remember that in the summertime months (from Might to October) canine aren’t allowed on the principle seashores so you’ll have to discover the canine seashore simply outdoors the principle metropolis heart.
Once I arrived in Barcelona with my pup I booked right into a dog-friendly resort and I’ve just a few pals who’ve additionally completed the identical. Quite a lot of lodges are used to canine companions and accommodate them fairly simply. So if you happen to journey together with your little buddy these are the perfect locations to remain.
- Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella: This resort is correct reverse Ciutadella Park, which is by far top-of-the-line parks for canine within the metropolis. Mornings and evenings are a hub for canine house owners with pups taking part in on the grass collectively, and there’s a kiosk within the park for human refreshments. The resort can be a brief stroll to the seashore and throughout from El Born, completely positioned for exploring the town. The resort itself is gorgeous, it’s designed to merge nature with native structure and elegance, and the bar space is spacious and overlooks the park. There’s additionally a stunning out of doors space to take pleasure in an aperitif.
- Resort Balmes: An actual gem of a resort, they really have a particular package deal for canine, Keep & Canine. This treats your pup as a particular visitor with its personal mattress, meals and water bowls, treats and snacks and toys, and housekeeping can be delicate to their particular guests. There’s additionally an African artwork assortment all through the resort, a backyard and a pool.
- Hostalin Barcelona Gran By way of: This resort has 2 areas not too removed from one another, as talked about after I arrived in Barcelona I stayed on the Gran By way of resort and it was really unimaginable. The rooms are clear and spacious, and the employees are wonderful and really accommodating. The identical vibe can be at their different resort Diputación, each are in Eixample and rather well situated for accessing the remainder of the town.
READ THIS POST
The right way to Be a Extra Accountable Vacationer: a Traveler's Information to Moral Tourism
The place To not Keep in Barcelona
Barcelona as a complete is fairly secure and there are few areas to keep away from, these are normally simply sure streets quite than complete areas and it’s extra of simply being conscious quite than anticipating to be robbed. You hear horror tales and sure they do occur however if you’re an skilled traveler and maintain your wits about you, you’ll be effective. It helps to remember that Barcelona has a whole lot of poverty and the typical wage completely doesn’t match the price of residing and housing right here.
There’s additionally a big impoverished migrant inhabitants and homeless individuals in sure areas, if this offends you then higher to keep away from the town solely as nobody space is healthier than others.
Other than that, there are some areas of the town which are simply not price staying in, and I’ll clarify the place and why.
Usually if you hear tales of pickpockets, you might be listening to tales of Raval, which is situated to the west facet of La Rambla.
The realm is charming in its personal method, however I wouldn’t suggest it for vacationers. There are some nice eating places tucked away and a few actually enjoyable bars however strolling residence at midnight just isn’t advisable.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: If you’re nonetheless on the lookout for the quirky previous city type that elements of Raval have then keep in Gothic as a substitute. You’ll nonetheless have the identical tourist-friendly hustle and bustle and loads of previous buildings to marvel at however much less of the after-dark considerations. Might Ramblas Resort is properly situated for La Rambla with out the night security challenges.
Sant Gervasi-Galvany is up within the hills of the town and may be very residential. Housing could be fairly costly right here and the boutiques and cafes cater to a special clientele than what most vacationers could be concerned with.
It’s near the hills of Tibidabo, Barcelona’s highest peak, and the views throughout the town could be beautiful however transport hyperlinks aren’t nice so will probably be an extended stroll or a number of metro and bus stops to get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: Shut by is Eixample, this has the identical metropolis residential vibe however with extra attraction and simpler entry to the remainder of the town. Additionally take into account Gràcia for a similar causes. Praktik Bakery offers you that very same native vibe however in a greater location.
For those who hunt for lodging that’s quick access to the airport then that is the primary neighborhood to have a look at, additionally it is near the long-lasting Montjuïc which is great to discover. You too can go see the fountain present at Plaza Espanya.
Nonetheless, to get anyplace you’ll need to leap on the metro or prepare, it’s properly related however if you wish to stroll to the remainder of the town you’ll have fairly an extended stroll. It’s a quieter space to remain in however the fixed want to make use of the metro can sluggish you down.
Additionally as it’s a major transport connection level it does are typically actually busy within the stations, which may get overwhelming if you’re determining how one can get to the place you need to be.
- The place to Keep as a substitute: For straightforward entry to the airport look near Plaza Catalunya. The metro cease is central so will get you the place you should be in addition to the Sants cease does. It is usually a major level for the airport shuttle buses to begin from, which is by far the simplest option to get to the airport fairly cheaply. Praktik Bakery once more is rather well situated for ease to journey.
The place to Keep in Barcelona: Abstract
That’s numerous info! So to wrap it up right into a bite-size piece, right here we’ve got an at a look abstract:
- The Finest Areas to Keep in Barcelona: Go for the Previous Metropolis or Eixample for traditional Barcelona vibes.
- The Finest Inns in Barcelona: Finest choices are Barcelona Resort Colonial, Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella, any of these will make your keep iconic.
- The Finest Canine-Pleasant Inns in Barcelona: Once more one other vote for Hostelin Barcelona Gran By way of and Motel One Barcelona-Ciutadella. Can’t beat these for canine lovers!
So why aren’t we recommending any AirBnBs? Briefly, AirBnB and quick time period condominium leases have screwed the housing market in Barcelona, in addition to many different cities all over the world. Discovering an precise residence within the metropolis is an actual downside and the costs have been pushed so excessive by vacationer leases that the typical particular person can not afford them. Legal guidelines have now restricted vacationer licenses however this hasn’t completed a lot to cease the issue that was already created. So that you don’t contribute to the very actual housing disaster within the metropolis, we suggest you to be a accountable traveler and select to remain in lodges as a substitute, which have been in fact closely affected by the pandemic and deserve all of the vacationer love once more.
That ought to provide the greatest concepts of the place to remain so you’ll be able to plan the remainder of your journey! If you are within the strategy planning stage don’t neglect to enroll in our Self-Guided Strolling Tour of Barcelona to get a downloadable information to discover the town!
Which space would you want to remain in? Is there a sure a part of Barcelona you might be most enthusiastic about seeing? Tell us within the feedback under
Psst: Planning extra journeys to European cities? Now we have explored a few!
Psst: Save this publish for in a while Pinterest!